I'm a passionate Naturalist and Professional Musician based in Gwent with a love for Sound Ecology. Former Trainee Warden for the Brecon Beacons National Park and currently a Seasonal Ranger at Llandegfedd Reservoir.
In my time I've also worked as a web developer for Evergreen Supplies LTD, Volunteered for Gwent Wildlife Trust and continue to maintain a Wildlife Community page called Llandegfedd Reservoir Wildlife on Facebook.
Conservation is becoming more of a responsibility than a life choice, I only wished our infrastructure made it easier for people like myself to gain a Job doing not only what we love, but what the world truly needs.
Below a video of a fantastic opportunity I had to film alongside renowned naturalist and ornithologist Iolo Williams. A proud Welshman and the voice that wildlife needs here in the Uk at a time where 60% of our wildlife has declined.
- Upper Second Class Degree with Honours (2:1 Hons) | University of South Wales, Newport | Creative Sound and Music
- Distinction, Merit, Merit (DMM) | Crosskeys College | Music Practise
- Gwent Wildlife Trust Photography Competition Winner 2014 & 2015
Each role has brought new opportunities and with it, knew knowledge to behold. Despite spending most of my academic years studying Music, here's a list of Jobs that have lead me where I am today.
- Welsh Water / Llandegfedd Reservoir | Seasonal Ranger
- Brecon Beacons National Park | Trainee Warden
- Gwent Wildlife Trust | Wildlife Sound Recording Workshops
- Evergreen Supplies | Web Developer (3-4 days a week)
- Wildlife Camera Trap Man | Hired by Aden Productions for Tv Series starring Iolo Williams to manage wildlife trail camera's in Pontypool Park
- BBC Wildlife Guide | Wildlife Guide for Presenter Iolo Williams for Screening of 'Iolo William's Welsh Parks' aired 2015
- Session Musician | Musicals - We Will Rock You, Les Mis, Fame and Chicago.
- Studio Production | Signed Artist Ellie Mccue.
- Drummer for Bands | The Venture, Hey!25 and Morning Wood.
- Session Musician for Katie Vally's School of Music.
- Argos | Stock Assistant
- Dragon Bands | Drum Teacher, Administrator, Assistant, Radio Presenter, Magazine Editor and Music Therapist.
- Burleigh Academy Newport | Sound & Lighting Technician for West Side Story, Fashions Shows and Functions.
- Trosnant Baptist Church | Media Designer & Advertising | Youth Worker
Ornithology / Conservation :
My love for Wildlife grows with age as I realise the importance of our local biodiversity and appreciate just how lucky we are in the Uk to have such amazing ecology around us. Photography has always been a way of showing my appreciation of this and I hope that it shows through all my work. My passion has recently been noticed by Aden Productions landing me some great opportunities filming with Iolo Williams for a Documentary called 'Iolo's Great Welsh Parks' airing early 2015. As well as being filmed, I managed the hidden camera's on location in search of key species of mammal like Deer and Otter.
The flexible of the Creative Sound & Music Course at Newport really allowed me demonstrate my love for wildlife, having spent almost 2 years of the degree recording and studying bird song in an attempt to learn more about natural rhythm.
Nature plays a part in everything that I do.
I am a member of the RSPB, Gwent Wildlife Trust, on the committee for Gwent Ornithological Society and an active member to my local Biodiversity Partnership Meetings. I've also volunteered for Project Nestbox Wales, during which time I designed a full website, produced several wildlife documentaries including the sound, video and photography to educate my small community about the wildlife on their doorstep.
Over the years I've been able to play for Musical Theatre, Choirs, Orchestra's, Jazz Bands and Covers Bands, and have always brought the best I have to offer from a naturally adaptive style of playing. I studied Music Performance in Crosskeys College for 3 years and continued my studies at The University of South Wales, Newport on a credited course called Creative Sound & Music. Through all this I've had lots of experience in all aspects of the Music industry from Composing, Recording, Producing, Sound Engineering, Stage Management, Documentary Management, Lighting Engineer, Events Manager and everything in between.
" My love for Birds started with my Grandfather, Derek Wagg. He used to take me and teach me on countless trips to the countryside. Growing up however, there were some key moments that changed the way we both shared this hobby. There came a time where he could no longer keep up with me, he could no longer see the things that I was trying to show him through the binoculars. It was then that I bought myself a camera. I tried to take pictures of the things that I saw so that he could feel like he wasn't missing out. I could take these pictures right to his door step and it would be just like it used to be. The degeneration in his eyes soon brought him to drive less distances and eventually lead him to quit altogether. This was fine for a while but things got worse, to the point where he could hardly see the phone or computer in front of him. Slowly, the photo's were hardly recognisable to him. I found him putting on a front just so that he wouldn't feel like he was disappointing me. So, it's here that I decided to not just photograph, but to record the sounds of nature. If he couldn't see them, he could certainly hear them...So long as his hearing aid was on...This experience has made it so much easier for me to relate to my Grandfather again just like we used to. I don't think he will ever realise just how much this experience has changed me. My appreciation for this world grows every single day- for we are not guarantied a tomorrow, but we don't need a tomorrow, because we have, today. "